What’s In Your mind?• 100 billion neurons (nerve cells), trillions of more cells (glial) that support the neurons.
• More connections than stars in the universe!
• Brain is only 2% of body weight but uses 30% of all calories consumed on a daily basis.
• The brain is about being “cognitive”.
• Defined as: “State of consciousness (alert, orientated), memory, and attention span”.
• Our brains become less cognitive as we age, but when does the decline actually start? Age 45
• Add in toxins, stress, poor lifestyle choices, genetics, and it can start even earlier.
• A firing between neurons. Like a spark plug in an engine. If the gap is hindered, so is the spark.
• We lose 5-10% of synapsis from age 20-90 yrs. of age. Stop this and you improve memory.
Poor lifestyle choices, environmental toxins, and stress, contribute to degeneration of synapsis. What else?
• Not being self aware – a personal sense